English at Kings Court
At King's Court First School, we promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. During Early Years and KS1, children will begin to learn their early reading skills through the Read Write Inc phonics scheme, where they will have opportunities to practise their phonics during daily sessions. At Kings Court, we promote a love of reading through providing a wide range of literature and encouraging pupils to read at every opportunity. With regards to writing, we follow the 'Talk for Writing' scheme which aims to help pupils to become immersed in the stories they read.
The overarching aim for English in the national curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. Our policy entitles every child to a broad, balanced and relevant English curriculum, which is tailored to the needs of each child within the school. We aim for all children at King’s Court First School to:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information.
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Children are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
English Whole School Resources
English Subscriptions at King's Court
As a school, we are lucky to have a subscription to a very useful website that helps children to develop early reading skills and an interactive platform to read a variety of stories.